Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Plot Thickens...

Upon entering the hospital on Thursday, I was a bit apprehensive. That's a bit odd for me lately b/c other than an overwhelmingly positive attitude and a tad bit of grief, I haven't felt much else regarding this new info. I guess maybe I'm just waiting to see what God's going to do. We'd had a wonderful prayer meeting at church that morning so I felt God walking right beside me as we went through those glass double doors.

Once we got upstairs for therapy with Ms. Marty, Hunter was a bit fussy. He was just not up for the rig-a-ma-roll we were facing that day, I guess. He didn't do anything amazingly new...but little things are amazing sometimes. I remember the first time he actually moved his arm...it was a slight raising of the lower arm but you would have thought he had just done a cartwheel with the way Ms. Marty and I were screaming and laughing!! Tears were rolling down my cheeks. In that very moment HOPE sprang eternal. If he could do that...well, at that moment the possibilities were endless!

Sorry for the rabbit trail...

We finished our first session and then went to wait for the X-Rays to be done. That's when those stinking butterflies hit my stomach. Why was I worried? Nothing major was going to show up. Nothing we weren't already expecting. Our minds do funny things sometimes. It took 5 minutes to take the pelvic X-Rays and b/c I'm so nosy I got to look at them right there. The tech called both of his therapists in and we got two great visuals.

Now for the good stuff...

We could clearly see that his right hip is positioned higher than the left (tilted pelvis) and that there a slight bit of inward rotation (rotated pelvis). Again, this wasn't surprising as Ms. Jen had already determined this just by watching him sit and stand. It was confirmed and plainly visible. I mean, I watched the tech hold Hunter perfectly semetrical during the taking of the X-Ray and then I watched the X-Ray show a tilt and rotation at the viewing. All four of us were agreed at what we saw. We went to therapy with Ms. Jen and continually saw the evidence, in his compensation techniques, of what we saw in the X-Rays.

Wanna know the kicker??

Hunter's pediatricians office left a message stating that they had received the radiologists report and his little hips and pelvis look fine. I wish you could have seen my face. How could 4 of us see something that the radiologist did not?? Was it slight enough that it didn't matter to him? Would he have agreed if he'd seen the evidence in Hunter's movements as we have? I really struggle with this b/c I have this undying belief that medical professionals know what they are doing. This incident makes me feel otherwise and I'm a bit confused by that.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want Hunter to be diagnosed with something he doesn't have. But, I'm realistic enough to know that if he doesn't get diagnosed properly for something he DOES have then we can't get the proper treatment for it. So, I'm going to demand a recount...I mean, another X-Ray.

We won't know about the Tethered Cord until we have an MRI...but we've got to get through this first. I am tired and it is almost 2am....why I can't sleep lately...oh, I don't know. But, I will end for now and continue to keep you posted!

Thank you again for all of your love, support and prayers!

No comments: