Sunday, February 3, 2008

In The Beginning...

It was March 6th, 2007...
My husband walked through the door from work, hurrying to get ready for our oldest sons baseball practice. There was a bit of electricity in the air as they hurried about preparing bats and gloves for this first practice. I hated to put a damper on the urgency at which they were moving so I quietly made my petition known for a much needed shower before they left. Being 37 weeks pregnant and hoping our little man would come any day, I wasn't as confident in the shower when at home all alone. The boys conceded and sat down to watch a bit of TV while I freshened up. Upon exiting the shower I realized that something was happening. I began prepping myself for labor...you know, making sure nails were painted, hair was fixed and a spot of make-up was carefully applied. I walked out into the living room and announced that I felt a bit odd and instructed my husband to take the cell phone just in case. I gave hugs and kisses all around and sat down to watch the show already on the screen. I don't remember what show it was...I don't remember much about the TV at all as a matter of fact. I noticed very quickly that I was having labor pains and hunkered down to wait it out. After an hour or so of consistency I knew that this was the time. I made arrangements to get to the hospital and called the boys to tell them to meet me there.
And so it began....no one could have prepared me for the journey ahead. We all hope for perfect babies with perfect arms and legs, fingers and toes, eyes and nose. In our case, that was not to be.
Hunter Mathew had sustained a Brachial Plexus injury to his right arm during labor. It hung limp at his side and we were instructed to keep him swaddled with the arm securely in place until a therapist could meet with us to explain everything. It seemed as though my world stood still. Inside I was crying out to God..."what is happening"..."what could we have done differently"..."will he be okay"..."I'm not prepared for THIS"...
As if in a movie, I remember God wrapping me in His arms of mercy as He whispered softly that he had given me the strength to love and care for this little one that he had placed in my care.
It was then that he began carrying me...ever since I only see one set of footprints in the sand.

No comments: